Re: Bug with read only handling in mount

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 11:41:32PM -0800, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> sys-utils/mount.c, mk_exit_code()
>
> If the mount syscall returns EACCESS, the code treats this as meaning that RW
> access to the block device wasn't allowed - it switches to RO for all future
> mount attempts.

This is pretty old (>10years) mount behavior, util-linux 2.13:

    case EACCES:  /* pre-linux 1.1.38, 1.1.41 and later */
    case EROFS:   /* linux 1.1.38 and later */

> This is incorrect though, because EACCESS could just mean that that particular
> filesystem doesn't support RW: iso9600 returns EACCESS if you try to mount RW.

So, remount RO makes sense, right? I don't think we want to change
this behavior, all CDROM/DVD users depend on this.

> The end result is that if we're trying to mount by trying every filesystem type
> (your libblkid doesn't know about your filesystem yet..), and the correct
> filesystem was listed after iso9600 in /proc/filesystems, mount will always
> mount RO (unless you specify the filesystem type with -t).

Not sure if I understand. Does it mean that iso9600 driver returns
EACCES for all devices although there is no this FS on the device? Or
your FS shares the device with iso9600?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>