Re: Fixing su + runuser vulnerability CVE-2016-2779

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 05:02:44PM +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2016 at 14:13 Karel Zak wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 08:35:54PM +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > > There are some controversial things with the straightforward fix:
> > >
> > > setsid() prevents TIOCSTI attack described in the report (easy to
> > > reproduce), but it has side effects: It disconnects the task from job
> > > control. With setsid(), ^Z cannot be used for sending the application
> > > to background any more (easy to reproduce by calling setsid()
> > > unconditionally in the same place).
> > >
> > > su-common.c now calls setsid() only if new session is requested.
> >
> > Yes, it's pretty stupid situation.
> >
> > We have exactly specified setsid() use-cases and now TIOCSTI ioctl
> > forces us to modify the things (and maybe introduce regressions),
> > because the crazy ioctl is not possible to disable by any another
> > way...
>
> I would like to see a kernel support for selective disabling of TIOCSTI
> without side effects like setsid() has.
>
> setsid() fallback would be used for kernels that don't support it.
>
> I am not sure, how complicated would be adding of such feature to the
> kernel.

I have applied patch based on libseccomp syscall filter:

   https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/commit/8e4925016875c6a4f2ab4f833ba66f0fc57396a2

it works as expected, but IMHO it's workaround for our stupid kernel...

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com