PV on disk without partitions not recognised as LVM2_member

I am not getting a majordomo response (as usual, I guess, within a reasonable amount of time :p) to subscribe to this list, but....

Perchance,

Would someone be will to fix the issue that a Physical Volume from LVM2 (PV) when placed directly on disk (no partitions or partition tables) will not be recognised as LVM2_member but rather as something else, such as "dos" (if nothing else is found) or e.g. some RAID device (if a RAID signature exists at the end of the device.

Ie. I had a disk that had a "promise fasttrack raid member" (from memory) signature at the end of the disk (last 1MB) and was recognised as such. When I wiped the signature, it was recognised as "dos":

/dev/sda: PTUUID="ef39c6e5" PTTYPE="dos"

pvck /dev/sda:

  Found label on /dev/sda, sector 1, type=LVM2 001
  Found text metadata area: offset=4096, size=1044480

The LVM2 udev rules for lvm-metad depend on blkid currently to report the nature of a block device such that they can know whether to activate it; as such a PV directly on disk will not get activated by udev rules.

Will also not get scanned, the whole pvscan --cache --activate ay command will not get executed.

It seems it would be best to solve it at the root of the issue rather than changing LVM's udev scripts.

Regards.