Re: question about raw(1)

On Thursday 07 July 2016, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 02:32:24PM -0400, Dale R. Worley wrote:
> > Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx> writes:
> > > I'm just curious, would this always work?:
> > >
> > >   modprobe raw
> > >   raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/xyz
> > >
> > > or should you wait for /dev/raw/rawctl after modprobe (udevadm
> > > settle or sleep)?
>
> This is generic problem and I don't think for utils like raw(8) is
> there any elegant way how to wait for rawctl node.
>
> IMHO the right solution is write robust scripts and expect "bad
> things" from your OS :-)

Yep, this was not a bug report. Just want to know how to write the
script right.

It's about this openSUSE init script pull request

He removed the existing "sleep 2" after modprobe but I guess somebody
had added that sleep for a good reason in past. Of course sleep is
ugly, maybe "udevadm settle" would work too!? I simply don't know if
udev or sleep would have any affect here at all. When testing locally
the thing always works without any sleep. But this may not mean
anything (as I've learned from ul test suite issues).