Re: Fixing su + runuser vulnerability CVE-2016-2779

I was thinking about this and the problem is actually that runuser returns (and control is returned to the privileged parent) while there's an unprivileged descendant with a handle to the tty. Thus, it seems that it could be solved by having runuser run the child into a new cgroup and refusing to return while there's any remaining process there.

Although depending on the exact way that people is expecting to use job control, that might still interefere despite not changing the session leader. Do we know actual usages that should continue working?

Regards