Re: mount nofail: what failures should we allow ?

On 20 Jan 2016 11:28, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 06:24:58PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i've received two requests for the "nofail" option.  the doc for the
> > option is a bit ... terse ... so it's hard to guess at the overall
> > intention.
>
> man mount:
>    nofail Do not report errors for this device if it does not exist.
>
> from my point of view this description is pretty explicit :-)

does it mean the device node doesn't exist (ENOENT) ?  or does it also
accept the node being there, but returning other errors like ENXIO (the
driver isn't loaded) or ENOTDIR (bad path) or ENOTBLK (used a bad path
like /dev/zero) or ENOMEDIUM (the node & hardware exists, but is not
loaded) ?  there's probably other errno values you could catch here.

surely you agree that "does not exist" does not cover all these cases.
or at the very least, it's pretty ambiguous/fuzzy.

> > (2) ignore unknown fs types.  e.g. when a kernel config/module is missing
> > support for the requested filesystem type.  so a fstab entry like:
> > 	..src..  /mnt/foo  somefs defaults,nofail
> > rather than error out with:
> > 	mount: unknown filesystem type 'somefs'
> > it would just issue a warning like it does for other nofail options.
>
> I'm not sure with this. It's unusual situation when any filesystem is unknown
> for libblkid, but it's pretty common that kernel returns EINVAL. This
> happen when a kernel config/module is missing, but also if you specify
> wrong mount options and in some another situations. I don't think we
> want to hide such problems. It's too generic...

i think there's a lot going on in this response.  let me distill it a
bit.  if i have a reiserfs that is usable, but i forgot to enable or
load the reiserfs kernel driver, should nofail be allowed to skip ?
or is this a hard failure ?
-mike