Re: Cyclic dependency with systemd?

Karel Zak wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:04:25AM +0000, Fredrik Johnsson wrote:
I have not run into any problems myself but can this be an issue? In
theory: If you compile systemd without util-linux, it should fail
because it needs libmount, and if you try to compile util-linux, it
should also fail because it needs sd_booted from libsystemd.

The dependence on libsystemd is optional:

  1/ build util-linux --without-systemd
  2/ build systemd
  3/ re-build util-linux --with-systemd

anyway, people usually don't build all from scratch. If you already
have system with all the dependencies then you can build without extra
care about this issue.

For those of us who do build everything from scratch and choose to not use systemd, there is also a circular dependency on udev (we use eudev). For our first build of util-linux we use --without-systemdsystemunitdir

  -- Bruce Dubbs
     linuxfromscratch.org