Re: user namespaces: user mapping

Mike Frysinger wrote on 11/17/2015 05:32 AM:
On 17 Nov 2015 00:41, U.Mutlu wrote:
I did some research on the net, and the findings are:
   - user namespaces have their own security holes

there are no known security issues.  like all new code, there were some edge
cases in the original implementation, but they've been fixed since.  the only
thing left is that people don't like the new attack surface and inherently
distrust it.  but that's not the same thing as there being known security holes.

see below

   - a workaround exists, but then a new problem happens: loop devices cannot
be accessed

loop devices are merely files which are owned by the root user.  not being able
to open files owned by the "real" root is to be expected.

Does the user need to create his own loop device(s)?

you need to have the system/root chown them as the user before doing anything
else.  sucks, but that's currently how it works.

Come on, what about the other users and the system itself, as they need them too...

 would be nice if someone
looked into making it more accessible to users.  maybe others on this list are
aware of ongoing work.

Hmm. it looks like there is (currently?) a big mess with user namespaces:

no, no there is not

This is an excerpt from a recent posting (Oct-17) in the containers newsgroup you posted the link here ( http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/containers/2015-October/036333.html ), cite:

user namespaces is not mature yet.