tailf, really needed?

Hi,

As far as I understood tailf's advantage over "tail -f" is that it does
not access the file when it does not grow. But nowadays
coreutils "tail -f" also does not seem to access the file. So do we
really need tailf?

The point is that I've noticed that our tailf fails to deal with
filesystems where inotify is broken. For example it does not work for
overlayfs. coreutils tail code looks quite complicated and seems to
manage such cases. Is it worth to fix our tailf or better just remove
it and use "tail -f"?

BTW coreutils tail is much more comfortable. It has many important
options. For example watching log files without -F or --retry does not
make sense to me (because of logrotate).

Last but not least, is anybody using tailf at all? Google does not find
much about people who are using this.

cu,
Rudi