Re: fdisk -l hits floppy drive

Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Then the answer to your question is, "Yes, it is expected and intended."
>
> Why?

Because "fdisk -l lists the partition tables for all devices listed in
/proc/partitions", as it says in the manual page.

Your complaint is not really about the behavior of fdisk, but about the
contents of /proc/partitions, which is maintained by some other group.

>> Are you saying that you find this undesirable?
>
> Based on my understanding of the meaning of partition, yes. From the man page:
>
> 	fdisk is a dialog-driven program for creation and manipulation of
> 	partition tables.
>
> sr0 and fd0 don't have partition tables. Are sr0 and fd0 not always invalid
> targets for fdisk? If yes, what reason is there for /proc/partitions to
> contain them?

Actually, you *can* write a partition table to fd0, though people rarely
bother to.  It makes more sense if fd0 is an LS-120 (120 MiB) device,
which I had on one computer.

Dale