[BUG] losetup: support for physical devices

During a disaster recovery I found that losetup either

1. does not support creating loop devices that target physical devices. In
this case I think there exists a compelling reason to support them
(http://serverfault.com/questions/659484) and this bug report is a wishlist
bug

or

2. it does support physical devices, but it is an undocumented feature (at
least in the manpage) and the warning it issues is misleading beacuse it
makes you think it doesn't support them ("losetup: /dev/sdc2: warning: file
smaller than 512 bytes, the loop device maybe be useless or invisible for
system tools"). In this case this could be a documentation bug.

I haven't tested which of the two possibilities is the real situation, but
I'm pretty sure you already know.

Thanks for your attention,
Lucio.