Re: cfdisk created GPT tables are not recognized by the Windows 8.1 installer

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 11:57:56PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> the Windows 8.1 installer does not recognize the GPT partition tables
> created with cfdisk. It claims it will need to initialize the entire
> disk to install Windows.

hmm... the difference which I see is that libparted uses HeaderSize=92
and libfdisk HeaderSize=512. In libfdisk we count reserved area at the
end of the first sector to header. The both solutions are pretty
valid according to standard, but I guess that Windows installer does
not real all the sector so crazy things may happen (crc, ...).

> Reading-in the cfdisk-created table and writing-back the very same
> table with parted, makes the Windows installer recognizes it, and
> Windows just its two additional partitions.
>
> I've installed Windows on that box now and don't want to try this
> again

Sure, Christmas time with Windows 8... seems like Santa Claus hates
you; be better this year :-))

> but maybe looking at the difference what parted will change in
> the cfdisk created table is sufficient to find the bug.

Yep, thanks!

    Karel
--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>