Re: Remount failure without fstab or mtab

Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have a bug report in debian about "mount -o remount,rw /" failing
> because /etc/fstab does not contain an entry for the root fs, and
> /proc is not mounted ( booting with init=/bin/bash for recovery ).
> I'm not sure whether this is really a bug or not so I thought I'd ask.

I'm not an expert on the Debian version of mount, but my understanding
is that if there isn't a line in fstab/mtab, then the mount command must
contain both the mount point and the block device because the underlying
kernel call must be given both.  Check the documentation of "remount" in
your "mount" manual page.

Dale