Re: Utilities don't take into account capabilities

Dale R. Worley wrote:

I believe there's a complication...  I'm no expert, but I vaguely
recall from some previous thread that there are situations where
'mount' isn't purely a front-end for the kernel mount() call.
Instead, 'mount' wants to set up some things and then call mount().

The example that comes to mind is setting up a file on a loopback
device, then mounting the loopback device.  But I think there were
other situations like this.
----
   In such cases, to execute the operation, check the max caps needed
to perform the operation.

The problem being, that 'mount' wants to verify that the mount() call
will succeed *first* before attempting the set-up operations.  And
some of the setup operations require root capabilities.

There's also the complication of the "users" and "user=" options,
which are to permit a user to do something he doesn't actually have
the capabilities for.
----
Separate issue. I.e. should permission come from the entry in 'fstab', or should it come from what logins are set w/what caps. I think (?) from historical perspectives, the user is enabled to perform a specific operation if they are specifically
mentioned.  Else, go/w caps user has to complete successful operation.

   Would that cover it?