Re: mount.8: mtab as symlink

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014, at 23:32, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> On 07/21/2014 11:16 PM, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > So how does umount determine that a device was mounted by a user
> > and thus that the user is alllowed to unmount it again?
>
> man sys-utils/mount.8  # the new one! ;-)

:)  Ah, the man page is too big!

>    user   Allow  an  ordinary user to mount the filesystem.
>           The name of the mounting user is written to mtab
>           (or to the private libmount file in /run/mount on
>           system without regular mtab) so that he can unmount
>           the filesystem again.

There is no /run directory on my system.  So this probably means
that this mechanism requires a minimum kernel version?  Or should
that be /var/run/mount?

By the way, Karel, what are these 'helper=' and 'uhelper=' things
that are mentioned in umount.8?  Shouldn't these be mentioned in
mount.8 too, and more extensively?  But... how can uhelper ever
be specified when a mountpoint isn't defined in /etc/fstab?

Benno