Re: cytune: misnamed long options

On 30 April 2014 09:52, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> According to the code and the man page of cytune, the option -g
> shows the current values of the threshold and the flush timeout,
> and option -G shows the default values.  But the corresponding
> long options of those two are: --get-threshold and --get-flush.
> Confusing.  Shouldn't those be changed to --get-current and
> --get-defaults?  (Or the first one maybe just --get?)  However,
> the docs say not to change any options.  What to do?  Sami?

Hi Benno,

The recommendation never to change options tries to protect a Random J
Developer in breaking existing scripts. If options are deprecated at
least there should be a backwards compatibility with a deprecation
warning for some time (couple years).

Looking the kernel interface

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/tty/cyclades.c#n2639

the 'threshold' keyword seems to be ok. Use of word 'flush' is a bit
odd, and 'timeout' would be closer match with what the kernel is
doing. Karel, are you OK with s/flush/timeout/ ABI change?

After looking sys-utils/cytune.c for a moment I feel the command could
be improved various way. I could aim to do that before v2.25, unless
someone else wants to do more or less similar things what was done
with kill(1).

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/