Re: fdisk: add GPT partition types for plain dm-crypt and LUKS

On 01/28/2014 04:41 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Well some people don't want to do so... whether that makes sense
> or not.. is probably up to them :)

Sure, but they are just as likely to continue to be ignorant of this
type code and never use it.

> Sure and that's likely the best approach,... but there is not only
> Linux ;-)

So are there any other operating systems that want to or already are
using these codes?

> Again... other systems may use it... there is the ID for the ESP,
> which is definitely used... and you never know which other system
> (other OS, bootloader) comes a long and tries to do something based
> on it.

The possibility that someone some day may use it isn't a good reason
to add it.  The ESP has a special ID because the UEFI standard
requires it, and that causes enough trouble as it is.

> Anyway.. as I said... no one is forced to use it at all... it just
> sounds better to have something defined that to leave that open and
> have people choose anything...
>
> And this mail was merely to inform fdisk upstream that these values
> were now "chosen".

Unless someone is doing the work to actually be able to use them then
I don't see any point in adding them.  I also don't see any point in a
code for LUKS, though pure a pure dm-crypt code would at least have a use.

> Well but that exception just proves my point.. that feature was
> deprecated for good reason as it caused many issues... and you
> cannot guarantee that no one else (e.g. outside the FLOSS world)
> comes along and adds some other seemingly smart functionality...
> and at least one could hope that such someone wouldn't touch any
> IDs which clearly don't "belong" to him.

Ummm... how does it prove your point?  You admit that it was a bad
idea that caused many issues... and somehow that makes repeating the
same mistake a good idea?

> Aprart from that one would usually rather try not to run around
> shouting that one has an encrypted container...

Yet you propose doing exactly that via the partition type code.