Re: tests: cal/bigyear only works on 64bit (sizeof(long) == 8) systems

On 6 January 2014 12:30, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 09:42:43PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> that's a signed long type, so on 32bit systems, you get:
>>           cal: Year 1234567890123456789       ...cal: illegal year value:
>>
>> should the test detect the sizeof(long) and then calculate a number that is
>> smaller than that ?
>
>  It would be better to keep cal(1) arch insensitive.
>
>  Sami, why we need so huge year numbers and why the number is signed?
>  I guess it would be enough to  use "unsigned int" (UINT_MAX is 4294967295).

Hi Mike & Karel,

Year was left signed because someone said it might be interesting to
know pre-year-zero outputs. After a bit research the pre-zero year
calendars are theoretical construct, mostly because agreement in
western world is not more than couple hundred years old. That means
pre-zero calendar could only be considered as a what a modern western
people think the calendar should have looked. Whether that is
valuable, interesting, useful, etc is a different question.

Meanwhile the big year test is clearly broken. I recon there should be
a version for various sizes of INT_MAX tests, and depending how large
values are supported by system corresponding tests are ran.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/