Re: flock(1): working with fcntl locks

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 02:59:26PM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> I was a bit surprised to find that flock(2) specifically ignores fcntl
> locks.  from its manual page:
>
>        Since  kernel  2.0,  flock() is implemented as a system call in its
> own
>        right rather than being emulated in the GNU C  library  as a  call
>        fcntl(2).   This  yields  true  BSD  semantics: there is no
> interaction
>        between the types of lock placed by flock() and fcntl(2), and
> flock()
>        does not detect deadlock.

 Welcome to POSIX/Linux locking... read nice Lennart's summary:
 http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/locking.html
 http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/locking2

> I was trying to check if dpkg or apt-get was holding its lock and skip
> running my cron job if so, but unfortunately it uses fcntl (F_SETLK), and
> flock(1) will happily call flock(2) which succeeds.
>
> it's a bit sad to have to write the lock testing in C or Perl rather than
> use the nice little flock(1), so I wonder if we could "fix" flock(1)
> somehow.  I think I'm not alone to be surprised that flock(1) is so
> ineffective against locking done by other utilities, so my prefered solution
> would be to switch to using fcntl(2).

 Sorry, but today is not 1st Apr ;-)

 And process based fcntl(2) sucks more than flock(2) and for things like
 flock(1) it's probably completely useless.

> the chance of a problematic regression is small, I think.  my *guess* is
> that most flock(1) usage is only interacting with other usage of flock(1)
> (not flock(2)).  also relying on flock(1) succeeding on a fcntl-locked file
> would be just Wrong(tm).
>
> the "safe" solution is to add a flag, --fcntl, but isn't that just cruft?
>
> I can provide patches when I hear what the mailing list wants.

 No please, flock(1) is based on flock(2), that's all. The semantic
 and all possible limitations are well known. I don't think we want to
 make things more complicated.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>