Re: Per-filesystem default mount options

Karel,

I'm sorry for long delay. We are getting ready to start development.
But we need to settle some questions before we can start development
(please, see below).

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 08:03:29AM +0400, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:
>> >
>> >  /etc/fstab, or tune2fs for extN, or /etc/nsfmount.conf for NFS.
>> >
>> >  The per-filesystem-type default options are also hardcoded in kernel.
>> >

>> I'm sorry for my misguide and, perhaps, a wrong start. What I mean is
>> per-fs type default mount options. That's true, they are hardcoded in
>> kernel. But, there is a need to have them customized. I know, there is
>> ton of user-level utils that maybe can provide it. But... I feel that
>> this basic feature is important for the core. That's why I decided to
>> ask here in hope that you will discuss this with me.
>
>  If you really need a generic (on device independent solution), then I
>  don't see a better way than improve libmount for read something
>  like /etc/mount/<fsname>.conf. The problem is that such feature will
>  not be usable for non-libmount applications.

I guess, it is possible to do it in /etc/fstab. This solution would
bring us additional advantages (f.ex. better readability of /etc/fstab
itself). An example draft is available here:

https://github.com/better-oss/util-linux/issues/1#issuecomment-30503845

What are these non-libmount applications? Do they mount without
/bin/mount invocation? Why would they do this?

>> I keep stumbling upon this lack for a million-th times for as long as
>> 15 years. Every barely installed host, f.ex. even routers that have no
>> ability to install another utils except the 'mount', they require me
>> each time to put charset from command line. And you know, this is the
>> common source for errors for non-latin countries like your servant's.
>
>  I understand the pain for removable media, but for regular disks you
>  can use /etc/fstab, right?

Yes, for regular disks usual /etc/fstab is enough.