Re: bcache-tools package for Fedora / status probe-bcache

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 12:53:13PM +0200, Gabriel de Perthuis wrote:
> >> I'm not a fan of a blkid csum check (I pointed it out on the
> >> bug[1]). If a superblock gets scribbled or corrupted, you want
> >> bcache to complain, and you don't want blkid to look for the next
> >> possible signature.
> >
> > Having blkid also verify the csum was requested by Karel Zak, the
> > maintainer of util-linux. As a packager of bcache-tools I'm in favour
> > of having blkid identify bcache, but I don't have a preference on
> > using csum to identify bcache. I can pass the message to Karel, but
> > it would be better if we both discuss it on the appropriate
> > (util-linux?) mail list.
>
> Karel, are you okay if blkid doesn't do the csum verification discussed above?

 I don't insist on csum, but I'd like to have something more robust
 than check for a magic string only. It's usually better if there
 is some additional thing (for example within superblock offset,
 csum, etc.) -- checksums are ideal because it usually verifies
 whole superblock (header).

> Checksum failures will be reported by the kernel instead.

 I don't care about kernel :-) The important is what userspace (udev)
 thinks about the device -- is it correct to trigger any action on
 broken bcache device or the device should be ignored by userspace
 rules?

> Alternatively, do you see a way libblkid can return good magic / bad checksum
> results?

 If I good understand your patches then it makes wipefs(8) more
 "hungry" to zap incomplete superblock. I have no problem to support
 this scenario.

 Something else (like report bad checksums to udev) is probably
 unnecessary. Right?

> > I agree, f20 is a specific case, but in general probe-bcache will be
> > needed for a while.
>
> For the record, the libblkid patch is a good thing in the long run:
> common interface, less forks in udev.

 Yes, definitely.

 Maybe we can backport the patch to F20 if you need it -- it's not too
 invasive change.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>