Re: building pylibmount when python -> python3

On Monday 26 August 2013 08:47:30 Dave Reisner wrote:
> This came up in IRC and I thought it might be a good idea to mention it
> to the list. With pylibmount recently being merged into git, some folks
> might have trouble building from HEAD if their /usr/bin/python points to
> a version python>=3.0. While the end goal (after discussion with Karel)
> seems to be that we should be able to build this for both python2 and
> python3, you can work around the build failure for now by simply passing
> --with-python=/usr/bin/python2 (or --without-python if you don't care
> for the new module).

that doesn't quite work due to logic in the configure script that rejects
anything other than "yes".  fixing that doesn't help as AM_PATH_PYTHON only
respects $PYTHON.  then you have to set it to the full path and not just
PYTHON=python2 because the configure script wants the full path (to run the
config script).  it's all pretty fragile atm.

i think the workaround is:
	$ PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2 ./configure
(or point it at python2.7 if your distro installs a fuller version)
-mike