Re: [patch] for "Mistakes in messages" reported by Petr Pisar

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013, at 7:04, Petr Pisar wrote:
> My English is terrible, but since when `partion' is an adjective
> <http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=partition>?

Well, my knowledge of grammatical constructs is terrible, so whether
it's called an adjective or a compound noun or whatever, I don't know,
but I do know that English allows putting just about any word into any
role.  So even if the dictionary says it's a verb or a noun, it can be
employed as almost anything else too.  Can "table" be an adjective?
The above dictionary seems to say no, but Merriam Webster says sure.

  http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=table
  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/table

When table, why not partition too?

Also, error messages are often written in telegram style, mostly lacking
a verb: "Invalid argument", "No such directory", and so on.  The latter
is in my opinion short for: "There is no such directory".

Thus I understand "Partition overlap on the disk" to be a shortened form
of "There is partition overlap on the disk".

When "overlap" would be a verb, "Partitions overlap on the disk" doesn't
sound right.  It would be better as: "Some partitions on the disk overlap".

Which do you prefer?

Regards,

Benno