Re: newgrp(1) and sg(1)

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:38:40PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I don't think that deprecation is really appropriate--the system
> interface, NSS and /etc/gshadow are not really the purview of
> util-linux, though tools using the interfaces certainly are.

 Well, gpasswd uses /etc/gshadow, what else?

> newgrp(1) is specified by POSIX/SUS, so I think this is worth
> retaining for compatibility reasons.  Making it use NSS would be
> a good improvement though, since it's currently limited to flat
> files.

 I'm talking about group paswords. I don't see a problem to support
 newgrp(1) as a way how to switch groups, but the question is if we
 really need to support the passwords.

 BTW, posix:

   There is no convenient way to enter a password into the group
   database. Use of group passwords is not encouraged, because by their
   very nature they encourage poor security practices. Group passwords
   may disappear in the future.

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com