Re: newgrp(1) and sg(1)

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do we really need passwords for groups [newgrp(1) and /etc/gshadow]?
> Seems like a nice over-engineering.
>
> By the way, I have fixed newgrp(1) in util-linux and shadow-utils 5
> years ago. The password verification was pretty useless for years...
>
> IMHO it would be better to mark whole /etc/gshadow as deprecated and
> reuse "su --group <group> [--supp-group <group> ...]" code to switch
> between groups, then we don't have to maintain separate newgrp code.
>
> Note that newgrp(1) is available in shadow-utils and util-linux, sg(1)
> is alias in shadow-utils. We have been successful with login(1), now
> I'd like to consolidate newgrp(1) :-)
>
> Comments?

Usefulness of gshadow was discussed earlier[1]. I have not heard
anyone using gshadow. Neither Open Group or Linux Standard Base
recognize gshadow file, so keeping it a live seems to be voluntary.
There is also quite long history with confusion how the gshadow should
work[2]. So maybe it is time to get rid of this legacy experiment.

Maybe it is worthwhile to mention that Open Group defines newgrp[3]
command, so one of the projects should probably deliver it. The
shadow-utils version seems to be more complete (it has built in syslog
for example), so perhaps it should be the chosen one.

Having 'su --group', or similar, as newgrp alternative sounds fair.

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fa.linux.kernel/Zg987XcLy2U/wlV3Z9h66d0J
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/gshadow/comp.os.linux.admin/QptNuTMTMio/lDoeuy7KwOkJ
[3] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/utilities/newgrp.html

--