Re: Accessibility of swap files

Karel Zak <kzak@...> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 01:46:59PM +0000, Sami Kerola wrote:

> > >  this waring is there since year 1999.. so it's really nothing new.

Fine.

This contains three kinds of information:
  - a line, which is redundant wrt the command line
  - two lines of {critical, in my opinion} warning about insecure fs permissions
  - another two lines, which characterise the content of the swapfile

>  since util-linux 2.9t:
>
>     /* people generally dislike this warning - now it is printed
>        only when `verbose' is set */

Does anybody have a pointer to the arguments, why people dislike to know
about insecure permissions?!

Since I can rarely imagine any useful use case of insecure swap file
permissions compared to the immense security hole, an open swap file usually
presents, I would propose to:
  - remove the first line, which is redundant to the command line
    {low prio; you may leave it in order not to break anything}
  -    write the two lines of critical warning [as cited above] also,
       if --verbose isn't set
       {at least}
    || refuse to swapon|mount a swap file with insecure permissions without
       a "--force" parameter {also in fstab}
       {preferrable}

To make my arguments more understandable on the social level:
it's a quite frequent use case, that some root is given the task to work on a
POSIX system, he does not have any deeper knowledge of, yet.  May be, it's a
fresh Unix installation or a VM image.  At least in my experience, it's a
relatively early activity in the life-cycle of a system to adjust a its swap
configuration.  root has a hard time, if he has to work in a complex
environment[, where is he is almost always in a situation, he does not know
enough about,] without compromising hese systems, when he can not rely on a
paranoid policy of those, who prepared his ground.

I hope, this makes my intention understandable, and lets reconsider their
good-enough-ness.

Best, Markus