Re: libblkid: newbie question about enabling whole disk sysfs probe

Hi Karel,
On 22 October 2012 19:58, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 06:15:57PM +0530, Venkatraman S wrote:
>>        blkid_probe_enable_topology(pr, 1);
>
> This is strings based interface (NAME=value). It's probably
> better to use:
>
>    tp = blkid_probe_get_topology(pr);
>
>    blkid_topology_get_alignment_offset(tp);
>
> see libblkid/samples/topology.c.
>

>> I am able to get to the property value (which is set from the sysfs
>> value for the disk).
>>
>> But when mkswap is invokded with /dev/sdbX, then sysfs_probe is not
>> able to discover the parent disk's sysfs property.
>
> Really? It should be able to translate the partition name to the
> whole-disk name and us it.
>
> # ./sample-topology /dev/sdd1
> ----- binary interface:
>         alignment offset     : 0
>         minimum io size      : 4096
>         optimal io size      : 262144
>         logical sector size  : 4096
>         physical sector size : 4096
> ----- NAME=value interface (values: 4):
>         MINIMUM_IO_SIZE = 4096
>         OPTIMAL_IO_SIZE = 262144
>         PHYSICAL_SECTOR_SIZE = 4096
>         LOGICAL_SECTOR_SIZE = 4096

I understand. I assume this works because each of these are present in both
/sys/block/sda/ and /sys/block/sdaX/. But I am seeking a new property
(for which I have already coded the appropriate lookup hooks in topology.c)
The property (device/preferred_erase_size is present usually in eMMC
and SD cards,
 and not regular hard disks, and it only present in the root device node sysfs

I think it would be easier for you after looking at the patches that I
already have
(crude with lots of hacks and debug). I'll post them now

>> Any help would be great.
>
>  What exactly is your goal?

My objective is to implement / experiment some of the ideas that were bounced
around in kernel mailing list for optimizing swap on flash media [1]
[2] and make compatible
changes in both kernel and mkswap.
The changes revolve around embedding useful information in swap header that the
kernel can use to optimize it's swap algorithm.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/30/410
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mmc/14864