Re: Why fdisk wants the first partition to start at 1 MiB?

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Francesco Turco <fturco@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to use fdisk (from util-linux 2.19.1) for creating a
> partition on a drive. I noticed that the start sector of the first
> partition must be at least 2048, that is 1 MiB from the beginning of the
> drive. This can be changed by entering the "expert mode" and using the
> "move beginning of data in a partition" option. But I'm still wondering
> why fdisk reserves so much space by default.
>
> As far as I know the only sector that should not be used for partitions
> is the first one, that is, sector 0. It is reserved for the MBR. So the
> first partition can start at sector 1. I read that the 1 MiB thing is
> Windows related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Disk_Manager. Or
> it's something that Linux users should also care about? I can't find a
> convincing explanation anywhere.
>
> This 1 MiB thing seems to affect parted, too, as it wants partition
> boundaries to be multiples of 1 MiB. I don't know if it's related to the
> problem I have with fdisk, though.

It's a de-facto standard, which Windows does too. The first megabyte
is reserved here for a boot loader or any other management data that
could be needed for a disk or box to boot from.

Boot loader issues are probably not that interesting on EFI boxes and
other non-BIOS hardware, but on usually big sized disks it's still a
safe default.

Kay