Re: remove encryption options from mount and losetup?

Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 01:47:16PM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
>> Karel Zak wrote:
>>>
>>> Our goal is to follow kernel, so it would be better to remove this
>>> feature from kernel loopdev first.
>>
>> Well, someone could come up with another tool to support cryptoloop, or
>> rather 'transfer functions'.
>> If losetup has the philosophy to provide the canonical implementation
>> for all loop features then losetup isn't complete anyways. It needs
>
>  I don't know what was original idea, but the current '--encryption'
>  works somehow. Yes, it's not perfect, it's maybe almost useless,
>  but it's still have some users and we cannot remove it without a
>  prior warning.
>
>  Fortunately, cryptoloop is in our deprecated.txt for years, so I think
>  it's should be enough to add a fat warning to the next v2.22 release
>  and remove this feature in v2.23.

>From a distribution PoV it doesn't really matter. I just need to know
the direction :-) I'm currently struggling between porting our old patch
that adds password hashing to losetup once again or to remove encryption
support from losetup completely. I think we cannot ship 12.2 with the
current upstream state as that would add a third and even more broken
way than what we had before.

>  Anyway, I like Milan's idea with libcryptsetup, and we will try to
>  prepare any solution. BTW, the current cryptsetup also support loop-aes ;-)

Sure but setting up the block device is probably not what mount
should do.

cu
Ludwig

--