Re: losetup -d --force for zombie loop devices?

On 4/17/2012 4:03 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Hi,

I am having an issue with a loop device that used to be connected to a file on NFS.
Not sure if this is actually a kernel bug, but I assume (perhaps ignorantly so)
that losetup could resolve the situation anyways.

0. have NFS share on /mnt/nfs  (rw,users,noexec,nosuid,nodev,hard,intr)
1. losetup --show -f /mnt/nfs/file.img
    /dev/loop0
# actually, it was using cryptsetup luksOpen/Close
2. mount /dev/loop0&&  do_work&&  umount /dev/loop0
3. loose connection to NFS server (it went offline, client machine (laptop) switched networks ...)
4. umount -l /mnt/nfs

This is the problem with umount -l: all it does is remove the path from the namespace, leaving the device still mounted. Unfortunately umount -f is not properly supported. The proper fix for this is to have the kernel support umount -f, and do away with the brain damaged umount -l.