blkid -o value

Hi, I've just had a semi-serious problem related to blkid's "-o value" format.

When I first discovered that output format, I assumed that it would be a stable script-friendly output format intended for people who don't want to parse the name/value pairs. The fields appeared to be
  LABEL
  UUID
  TYPE
and I wrote a script assuming the third one was TYPE.

However, suddenly the output has changed to be
  LABEL
  UUID
  SEC_TYPE <-- "ext2"
  TYPE <-- "ext3"

which caused my script to mount a ext3 partition as ext2, killing the journal.

Looking at the code, it appears that it iterates over some list coming from libblkid and prints a line with the value only if the value exists. So it appears that there was never any intention of it being a stable output.

I would request that either the order of fields become stable by printing empty lines for missing fields (and documented), or the "-o value" be done away with, since I can't see any reason anyone would want random output in a script-friendly format, and the fact that it exists is likely to lead people astray.

Thoughts?  Comments?

-Mike Conrad