Re: behavior of "# mount /dev"

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 17:01 +0900, KIMURA Masaru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A user continues to mumble about behavior of "# mount /dev" in this list [1].
> He said, he did accidentally type
>
>  # mount /dev

This will fail since /dev is immediately mounted and populated at boot
time (by udev among others).

> and "ls /dev" shows only initctl under /dev.
>
> "man mount" said,
>
>        If only directory or device is given, for example:
>
>               mount /dir
>
>        then mount looks for a mountpoint and if not found then for a
> device in the /etc/fstab file.
>
> so I guess this is an undocumented behavior.
>
> Naohiro Aota explains that this is expected tmpfs' behavior in kernel. [2]

A whole lot of processes expect /dev/shm to be present; but mount(8)'s
relationship with tmpfs is no different than with any other linux
filesystem.

> And I think "just don't do such thing."
> But this user still doesn't accept this undocumented mount  behavior.
>
> any thought?

All in all I'm not sure I follow this problem and Google translate isn't
helping much either. What is very strange is that /dev is not mounted at
startup, and the user should address *that* issue instead of manually
mounting /dev.