Re: man-pages and usage() howto

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:15 +0200, "Sami Kerola" <kerolasa@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 22:38, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (I do not understand your comment about some macros not being
> > visually different from plain .B or .I.)
>
> Either my term, groff or pager is/are broken, or I have wooden eyes or
> the different highlights do not stand out, see yourself:
>
> http://ut3.org/~kerolasa/groff-highlight.png
>
> What I tried to say; Do not get fooled that different macros will look
> different so that you can refer visually in between different text
> elements.

Hmm, maybe you misunderstand what for example the .BI macro does?
It does not mean "bold _plus_ italic" but "alternate bold and italic".  And it
does that perfectly.  See for example the attached example file.

> > Another thing: the man page formatter itself puts a double space after a
> > period when in the man page source the next sentence begins on a new
> > line.  So when in the source a new sentence begins somewhere midline,
> > it should use a double space before its initial letter.
>
> Are you sure it does that?

Yes, it does that here, on Ubuntu Lucid 10.10, with man 2.5.7.

> See the screenshot notes section third
> paragraph line two, words `macros. See' has only single space in
> between them.

Yes, but in the source it says "appropriate groff macros. See" on a single
line.  When you put the "See" on a line by itself, you wil see two spaces
appear before it.  See the attached example file.

> Even there would be two spaces I do not agree that groff
> input writer should imitate output. It should be enough that words and
> sentences are white space separated, groff will take care the rest.

Well, being a doublespacer myself, I notice it when some sentences are
single-spaced and others double; it irks.  But never mind.

Regards,

Benno