Fake block devices (Was Re: `fsck -A` and fs-specific options)

Hey,

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 10:32 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
>  Good point. There is demand for a generic API to assemble block
>  devices (dm-crypt, MD, LVM, loopdev, ...). This functionality has
>  been requested by desktop guys, dracut, udev and it seems also
>  attractive for mount and fsck. I'll probably start to work on this
>  task at the end of this year (I hope with DM guys).
>
>  The idea is to have a simple library (libblkasm ?) that provide API
>  to assemble a block device according to the configuration in
>  /etc/fstab and /etc/blkasm.d/. The library should be modular, so
>  subsystem specific modules (lvm.so, crypt.so, ...) will be maintained
>  externally by subsystem developers. It seems like a good way how to
>  keep the functionality up to date and minimize some communication
>  problems between people :-)
>
>  Note that the original idea is from David Zeuthen
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/stc-20101011/stc.conf.html, but
>  David's goal was daemon.

FWIW, I've changed my mind about this. Basically, I don't think it's
worth supporting fake block devices (except for dm-luks and maybe loop
devices). Specifically, I will not support it in the next major version
of GNOME Disk Utility (aka Palimpsest) except for showing the "friendly"
dm name (e.g. /dev/mapper/blah) instead of /dev/dm-0. Here's a
work-in-progress screenshot

http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/palimpsest-with-fake-block-devices.png

(Compare to: http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/nautilus-lvm2-b.png )

Anyway, I think it would be better if people instead worked on e.g.
btrfs and making we properly support multi-disk in btrfs... because
btrfs multi-disk is subject to exactly the same problems as you have
when activating RAID or LVM devices (except that you can't do arbitrary
trees - which is a good thing!). For example, there's a policy decision
when to start a device in degraded mode. And, IIRC, the kernel don't
even properly convey what underlying devices a btrfs fs is currently
using  (it didn't last time I checked which is ~12 months ago).

    David