Re: `fsck -A` and fs-specific options

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 07:02, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2011, at 10:59 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> for example, some journaling file systems allow the journal to be stored
>> separately.  reiserfs has the "jdev=" mount option and the "--journal" fsck
>> option.  ext[34] have the "journal_dev=" mount option and the "-j" fsck
>> option.
>
> At least for ext[34] and external journals, e2fsck can find the external
> journal using the blkid library since the UUID of the external journal
> is in the superblock.   (In fact that's why the blkid library was originally
> written, and why it was originally included as part of e2fsprogs.)

when i read the kernel source, that seemed to be the case.  but i dont
think it's the case for reiserfs, and i think there's a very tiny edge
case with ext[34] related to moving the journal, but probably so small
we can ignore it :p.

>> another example is with loop mounts that take an offset.  fsck cannot operate
>> on the loop source as the start of the file is not the image.  it needs to
>> first setup the loop with the offset, and then do the fsck on the loop point.
>>       /tmp/foo.img /mnt/tmp ext3 loop,offset=10000
>
> How often are people using loopback mounts as a default, standard thing which
> need to be mounted and checked as part of the boot sequence?   I'm just
> curious what the use case is for this?

common enough that i got a report on it ;).  it was a mount point to
be checked/mounted during boot.

> I suppose if this was something people really did care about, the /etc/fstab
> format could be extended to add a new field at the end for fsck options ---
> but it's more complexity, and could break programs try to programmatically
> modify /etc/fstab.

right, which is why i was thinking that parsing the fstab's options
field is the lesser of two evils ...
-mike