Re: make distclean doesn't fully clean

On Saturday 2011-04-09 20:10, Phillip Susi wrote:

>On 04/09/2011 08:17 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Which is entirely normal. `make distclean` is supposed to clean the tree
>> for _distribution_, in other words, such that one can immediately rerun
>> configure, and not have to use autoreconf first. And Makefile.in is
>> something that is part of the standard distribution.
>
>And maintainer-clean?

Per the manual (standards.info, not autoconf.info):

`maintainer-clean'
     Delete almost everything that can be reconstructed with this
     Makefile.  This typically includes everything deleted by
     `distclean', plus more: C source files produced by Bison, tags
     tables, Info files, and so on.

     The reason we say "almost everything" is that running the command
     `make maintainer-clean' should not delete `configure' even if
     `configure' can be remade using a rule in the Makefile.  More
     generally, `make maintainer-clean' should not delete anything that
     needs to exist in order to run `configure' and then begin to build
     the program.  Also, there is no need to delete parent directories
     that were created with `mkdir -p', since they could have existed
     anyway.  These are the only exceptions; `maintainer-clean' should
     delete everything else that can be rebuilt.

     [...]