Re: valgrind, version switch and symbolic exits

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:42:02PM +0100, Sami Kerola wrote:
> There seems to be quite some exits with numeric exit codes. Using
> symbolic exits stdlib.h might be something what should be fixed
> systematically.

 Yes, I don't like magic constants. It'd be nice to have EXIT_*
 everywhere.

> I also did few valgrind tests and found couple leaks. As expected
> some leaks where easier to fix than others.

 Please, don't care too much about small leaks in short-time running
 utils. All memory is deallocated by kernel after process termination.
 It does not make sense to apply invasive changes to small utils to
 make valgrind happy.

 The leaks are fatal in shared libraries, daemons and long-time
 running programs (e.g. web browser).

> Finally I notice version string output, which made no sense. When
> making it better I started to wonder should all command support
> long options --help and --version. What do you think?

 Probably yes, note that it's better to have long options for all
 options in the program.

> Can I assume these, mostly uninteresting maintenance fixes, are
> something you would like to receive?

 Yes, no problem.

    Karel

--