Re: fdisk unable to re-read partition table (v2.14)

Hello

Just replying to my old email, sorry I could not find a copy, the
thread is archived online though:
http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=123781060627404&w=2

In an old version of fdisk, it was not possible to re-read the
partition table on a device which contained the mounted root
partition. is this still the case? If so, could the error message
include this info, so users know they need to reboot.

Maybe changing the text:

old:
WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed

new:
WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed. (Check if this is due
to a partition is still mounted on the disk that was changed. If a
root partition, new table will be used at next reboot)

Best regards, Jon

Example old output:

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.

WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 5: Input/output error.
The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot.
Syncing disks.
root@ubuntu:/dev#