Re: LINHIB0001 hibernate signature

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 01:49:25PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Rafael J. Wysocki (rjw@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 04, 2010, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > > * Rafael J. Wysocki (rjw@xxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > > Well it's a signature on a device, so hardly internal.
> >
> > Only the kernel uses it, though.
>
> Except the blkid currently looks in the space where this new signature
> lives to try and figure out what type of partition it is, and hence where to find
> it's uuid.

 It's not about UUID only. We need to know that the device is swap
 area, suspend data, filesystem, raid, ... all this is gathered by udev,
 used in udev rules and distributed to many places in system (desktop
 UI, ...).

> > > Hmm, but what's the expected behaviour after a failed resume from hibernate?
> > > Surely someone shouldn't have to run mkswap to fix up their system after a trivial
> > > failure like that?
> >
> > That's a problem with the kernel's built-in hibernation.  The original signature
> > should be restored automatically by the kernel in such cases, but there were
> > problems with users who started a wrong kernel to resume and then wanted
> > to repreat that without losing the image.  I'm not sure if that's a valid reason
> > to avoid restoring the signature, though.  Anyway, s2disk handles that
> > correctly I believe.

 swapon(8) cares about sw suspend data (for years), it automatically
 calls mkswap if sw suspend data are detected on the device.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com