Re: lsblk

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 19:14 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 19:03, Davidlohr Bueso <dave@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 17:26 +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>  I have merged Milan's lsblk(8) utility. The command lists information
> >>  about all or selected block devices (from /sys).
> >
> > Very useful tool!
> >
> > We could naturally add lschr(8) for character devices, based on lsblk
> > and devinfo (which I proposed a few months ago). Thoughts?
>
> Block is a rather simple subsystem regarding its interfaces, covering
> aspects of a single domain.

Agree.

> I doubt anything like this can be done for character devices in
> general. They are just a tiny detail of all the many domains that use
> chardevs. For most domains, the devices are not interesting at all.
> So, I don't think anything like this makes much sense, and it should
> be left to the individual subsystems.

lsblk simply lists the block devices, showing some (general) details
about the dev(s), which are common to all block devices. We could also
do this with char devs, and show specific data, which is common to all
char devices. IMHO, as a user, if I have a lsblk I will also expect an
lschr. ls-like tools are very useful because I can quickly and
intuitively get some information. More complex stuff can be handled by
other tools, like, as you know, udev.

Thanks,
Davidlohr