Re: serious bug: no progressbar at fsck (util-linux-ng 2.17.2) filesystem checking

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 05:42:44PM +0000, nitrofurano@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> about this tty-based progress bar (my main question) - the fact is
> the fsck from Ubuntu has this removed since Ubuntu 10.04, but i
> don't know if this progress bar were removed from fsck developers (i
> wanted it back), hacked from Ubuntu coders which may removed that,
> or is there some config file i can edit and restore this so useful
> and needed tty-based progress bar - any help is very welcome indeed

The tty-based progress bar is there if you invoke it from the
command-line.  So it hasn't been removed from e2fsck or fsck.  For
example, if you have /dev/sda6 unmounted, you could run this command:

fsck -pC0 /dev/sda6  -- -f

(the "-- -f" passes the -f command to e2fsck, which forces a file
system check, whether one is needed or not)

.. and you will see a tty-based progress bar.

As for what Ubuntu has done with their init scripts, that's a
distro-specific thing.  Quite frankly, although I happen to be an
Ubuntu user, the fact that Upstart is a Ubuntu-specific hack, which no
other distro will take and for which many developers have chosen not
to contribute to because of their mandatory copyright licensing
scheme, _and_ the fact that it seems really, really, Gross, has almost
been enough to cause me to switch distro's....

So I'm afraid I can't help you, as I've not spent a lot of time
disentangling the horrid mess which is the Ubunut init scripts, sorry.

	      	  	      	       	   - Ted