Re: blklimits: new command

On 13/05/10 11:42, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:35:47AM +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> On 13/05/10 09:31, Karel Zak wrote:
>>>
>>> The  blklimits  program  is the command-line interface to working with
>>> I/O topology support in the libblkid library. For example:
>>>
>>> 	# blklimits /dev/sdb
>>> 	alignment offset:          0
>>> 	minimum io size:        4096
>>> 	optimal io size:       32768
>>> 	logical sector size:     512
>>> 	physical sector size:   4096
>>
>> Could you mention why you chose to have a separate command
>> rather than adding extra options to `blockdev`?
>
>  Good point.
>
>  The blockdev already supports topology ioctls, but libblkid provides
>  more portable API. The ioctls are supported since kernel 2.6.32, and
>  the stuff is exported by /sys since 2.6.31. The libblkid is able to
>  read the information directly from DM, MD, LVM and EVMS on older
>  kernels. The library provides unified API for all these probing
>  methods and we need any command-line interface for this functionality
>  (for fdisk/parted, mkfs debugging etc.).

Thanks for that info.

>  I'm not sure if link blockdev(8) against libblkid is a good idea.
>  From my point of view is blockdev(8) simple wrapper for ioctls.
>
>  (I'm not happy with another new command, so suggestions are welcomed.)

blockdev currently just uses ioctls but I don't see a problem
linking with libblkid if available and {add,merg}ing the new
options if so.

So in summary I would change the blockdev description from:
  "blockdev - call block device ioctls from the command line"
to:
  "blockdev - query or change block device parameters"

cheers,
Pádraig.