Re: CRDOM_NOMEDIUM_RETRIES in mount.c

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 13:07, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 02:43:06PM +0100, Tony McConnell wrote:
>> I've started using 2.17.2, and discovered that there is now a large
>> delay before mount returns when there is no medium in the optical
>> drive.  Version 2.14.1 didn't have this delay.
>>
>> Question: Is it possible to make CRDOM_NOMEDIUM_RETRIES (from
>> blkdev.h) configurable via parameter? Or is there a better way to
>> detect presence of media?
>
>  I don't want to add an extra option for this thing.
>
>> This now adds 15 seconds onto my apps startup-time...
>
>  Maybe we can use something more sane, 3 retries with 1 second delay
>  (= whole delay 3 seconds). Or we can remove this "feature" at all.

People optimize things that are used on bootup for sub-seconds, and
now we possibly do a 15 seconds delay, tsss :)

I'm sure mount(8) is absolutely the wrong place to do anything like
this. It should just fail when there is nothing to read.

Userspace will get an event when the medium is recognized, and stuff
that depends on that should subscribe to these events, or should retry
on its own, and not let mount(8) magically try things on its own.

But that's just another reply you expected from me I guess. :)

Kay