Re: partx goes into infinite loop deleting partitions when you do not specify a range

On 3/31/2010 10:50 AM, Karel Zak wrote:
>  IMHO the best way is to read /sys/block/<disk> or /etc/partitions
>  and call the ioctl for existing partitions only.
>
>  The other (simple) way is to read /sys/block/<disk>/range where
>  kernel exports the maximal number of partitions for the disk.

The header that defines the BLKPG ioctl indicates that there are
supposed to be additional options besides add and delete.  One of these
options was supposed to be a way to enumerate the partitions on the
disk.  It seems this would be much better than poking around in /sys,
but unfortunately it looks like none of the other commands were
implemented in the kernel.  Another BLKPG command was supposed to let
you read the start and length of a given partition but since this was
not implemented I had to patch parted to open the partition device
itself and issue a HDIO_GETGEO ioctl to that instead.