Re: What is the status with migrating partition code out of the kernel and into partx?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 19:09, Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/19/2010 1:47 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> always requiring a bundled initramfs with random userspace utilities to simply
>> boot a kernel and mount a rootfs is unacceptable
>
> As I already said once, then you build your kernel with it still
> enabled.  For a typical desktop distribution that already has an
> initramfs and makes use of udev, they can turn it off if they choose.
> My question is why haven't they yet?

Because it does not solve a real problem, it's merely a matter of
taste. Besides the few known problems the current system causes, which
could be solved for some systems by disabling the kernel parser, there
is almost no pressure to do this globally on a system. It could be
done today, but that does not mean anybody is doing the work. :)

Kay