Re: What is the status with migrating partition code out of the kernel and into partx?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 18:47, Mike Frysinger <vapier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2010 11:45:20 Phillip Susi wrote:

>> I mean why not entirely replace the kernel partition handling with
>> userspace?  Stop building the partition recognition code in the kernel
>> at all.
>
> always requiring a bundled initramfs with random userspace utilities to simply
> boot a kernel and mount a rootfs is unacceptable

Right, nobody likes this dependency. And there are even major distros
these days which live without an initramfs to spare the second to load
and handle it. My laptop has successfully mounted the rootfs after 0.8
seconds, and the bootloader did not need to copy an initramfs image
from the disk. It's just much simpler and faster to have that in the
kernel for these very simple setups like a laptop or netbook.

Kay