Re: libblkid fails for some CDs

Karel Zak wrote:
> I don't see a problem, it reads 40 bytes from the last sector from
> the device. ...
> It seems like kernel last-sector-bug (see Google for more details).

Indeed, it is looking at and near the last block. As you point out this is not wholly reliable with CDs, depending not only on the kernel but also on drive firmware and how the disk was written. I have some cases where it fails, so mount with no fs type fails unnecessarily, or takes many minutes to error out of all the raid checks. (Working with kernels 2.6.31-32.8 since you asked, but I don't think that's the most important parameter.)

I am proposing to modify mount or libblkid so that it doesn't look for this information when it doesn't need it. Is there a way that will not break the general case?

thanks, Mark