Specifying device or dir

I just had a problem where I was hacking early in the boot process and wanted to issue "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/live". But, very confusingly, I was told something like "/media/live not mounted" which was absolutely correct but irrelevant.

It turned out that the problem was that I had a "/mnt/live /media/live bind defaults,bind" line in /etc/fstab, and mount read that and erroneously concluded that I wanted to remount on /media/live.

Some of the mount options takes the parameter "device | dir". That both can be specified is very convenient, but in scripts where you know what you (think) you have it would be nice to specify which of them you come with.

Please consider adding making it possible to specify if the parameter is a device or a mount point. For example so that I could say "mount -o remount,rw -dir /mnt/live"

I am aware that it gets close to the problem that the same device might be mounted several places and that several devices might be mounted on the same mount point and that it thus in general can be hard to specify what you are remounting. Perhaps a general solution can be found, but solving the simple problematic case I met would be valuable too.

Using util-linux-ng-2.14.2-9.fc11.i586

/Mads