Re: libblkid merged into util-linux-ng

>>>>> "Karel" == Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Karel> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:34:52AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 01:09:38PM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
>> >  TODO ----
>> * add stripe size / alignment retrival support to libbkid for use
>> with mkfs.  This would allow to deprecate libdisk from xfsprogs (1)
>> in favour of a common libblkid

Karel>  Added to TODO.

My I/O topology patches are finally shaping up and I expect to post them
later this week.  Turned out to be much, much harder than expected to
get it right for the various RAID modes.

My patches will give us alignment and minimum/optimal/maximum I/O sizes
for each block device in sysfs.

>> (1)
>>     http://git.kernel.org/?p=fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git;a=tree;f=libdisk;

Karel>  That would be nice to have something better than
Karel>  exec(/sbin/dmsetup) in shared library. It seems that DM
Karel>  developers have no clue about /sys/block :-(

When the LVM stripe extraction code was originally written I was
explicitly asked to call the lvm commands instead of poking around with
liblvm and internal data structures.  The command output was considered
part of the API.

That in turn spilled over to DM, I guess...