semantics of read-only mount

Hi there,

I just learned from inspecting my syslog and reading
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0102.0/0500.html
that read-only mounting a fs can still cause some write access due to
recovery / auto-repair functionality. Imho, this should be documented in man
mount:

Current man page:

       -r     Mount the file system read-only. A synonym is -o ro.

Proposed change:

       -r     Mount the file system read-only. A synonym is -o ro. Note that,
              depending on the filesystem type, state and kernel behavior,
              the system may still write to the device. For example, Ext3
              will replay its journal if the filesystem is dirty. To prevent
              this kind of write access, you may want to map the device
              through a read-only loop device, see command losetup.

Best regards,
Joachim

--
Joachim Wagner